The purpose of below mentioned method of statement is to explain the steps for the testing & Commissioning of fire alarm system. This procedure is to define the step by step method to implement the correct practices for the pre commissioning & commissioning of “Fire Alarm System”through the guidelines contained herein so as to ensure that the job execution complies with the project requirements and serves the intended function to satisfactory level.
- Portable Hand tools
- Step Ladder
- Insulation Resistance Tester
- Continuity tester
Pre Commissioning Procedure for Fire Alarm System
Ensure that the Fire alarm field devices installation is complete and completion is approved. Ensure a written acceptance test procedure (ATP) for testing the fire alarm system components & installation will be in accordance with NFPA 72 and specifications & approved by civil
Ensure that no damage has occured between mechanical completion & precommissioning. Repair / replace damaged components, if any.
- Cable Testing
Upon completion of installation & inspection of cables they will be
tested as follows:
Upon completion of glanding of the cables, the cables will be
tested with a standard industrial insulation tester.
The tests shall be carried out to check for short circuits between
conductors & between conductors and the outer sheath.
If each core cannot be identified, they will be phased to determine
each core at both ends& will be suitably marked.
- Ensure that the smoke detectors, speakers,bells, strobes & fire man’s telephone jack are identified location wise and service wise.
- Ensure that the wiring termination to the Fire Alarm Panels are complete & correct polarity is maintained for all field devices.
- Ensure that wiring termination to the voice evacuation panels for speakers and fire man’s telephones are complete & correct polarity are maintained at all field devices.
- Ensure that the Fire alarm cables are pretested for continuity before termination.
- Ensure that the earthing of the Fire Alarm panels & voice evacuation panels has been completed.
- Ensure the availability of power supply to the fire alarm panels & voice evacuation panels.
- Check the presence of batteries in all Fire alarm panels.
- Check for the proper location & mounting height of all the manual call points.
- Check all field devices are properly supported & secured.
- Check for proper identification of all Fire alarm cables.
Commissioning Procedure for Fire Alarm System
- Ensure that all the pre commissioning checks are carried out successfully.
- Switch ON the power supply to the Fire Alarm Panel.
- Presence of each device shall be proven by electrical operation of the device & its location shall be checked to correlate with the approved shop drawings.
- Cause & effect programming shall be undertaken in line with the specification requirements.
- Simulate one of the the smoke detector by artificial smoke/magnet & observe the following:
- Ringing of Bells
- Sounding of speakers
- Flashing of strobes
- Closure of Fire Dampers & its status indication
- Indication of Fire Zone in the Panel
- Communication of Fire Status to Control Room
- Shut down of AHUs
- Starting of extract fans
- Operation of Staircase pressurization units
- Elevators recall Signals to existing towers as per cause & effect.
6. Reset the Fire Alarm panel & check the above after simulating a Heat detector.
7. Each initiating device shall be tested in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations & witnessed to indicate a fire on the control panel.
8. Similarly use the manual call point to check the operational features of the system.
9. Each test fire will be witnessed to trigger the necessary cause & effect or evacuation fire plan.
10. In areas where audible alarms are given the sound levels will be verified in accordance with the specification requirements.
Test for Fireman’s telephone System
- Turn ON fire alarm & voice evacuation panel.
- Trigger any break glass for fire simulation.
- Check for voice message through speakers Insert fire man’s telephone in any floor jack & announce a message.
- Check the recorded message through the speakers are interrupted and the announcement is heard.
- Precommissioning check sheet for Fire Alarm System
- Commissioning check sheet for Fire Alarm System
- Risk Assesment