Below is a complete step wise Testing & Commissioning Method Statement For Fire Fighting Pumps. The purpose of this procedure is to define the step by step method to implement the correct practices for the testing, precommissioning & commissioning of “Fire Fighting Pumps” through the guidelines contained herein so as to ensure that the job execution complies with the project requirements and serves the intended function to satisfactory level.
This method applies for startup of pumps only not for a complete firefighting system which requires a separate detailed procedure for commissioning.
TOOLS / EQUIPMENTS
- Portable Hand tools
- Step Ladder
- Measuring instruments (with valid calibration certificate)
TESTING & COMMISSIONINGF PROCEDURE
Precommissioning Procedure for Fire Fighting Pumps
- Ensure that the pump installation is complete and approved.
- The civil defence approval shall be obtained prior to the precommisioning & commissioning of the Fire Fighting System.
- Ensure that no damage occurs between mechanical completion & precommissioning.
- Repair all damages to the equipment paint finish.
- Ensure that the pumps are identified location wise and service wise.
- Check again the alignment of pump and driver shaft and comply with manufacturer instructions. check shaft sleeves are fitted properly to protect the shaft against wear, erosion & corrosion.
- Note the details of each motor such as make, model number, frame size, kW rating and RPM.
- Check that the Fire Fighting piping network is complete with proper valves, drains, vents, strainers, pressure switches & instruments in place.
- Ensure that the Fire Fighting network is hydraulically pressure tested and approved.
- Ensure the pumps bearings are lubricated/greased as per manufacturer recommendation.
- Ensure the pump shafts are rotated by hand freely.
- Ensure that electrical power connections and earthing is proper.
- Ensure that the field wiring is pre-tested for continuity and insulation resistance.
- Ensure that all the relevant valves are in open position. Pump discharge valve should be in closed position.
- Check for free rotation of motor shaft by hand.
- Check that the coupling guards are installed & all safety devices are operational.
- Check identification and labeling for equipment.
Commissioning Procedure for Fire Fighting Pumps
- Ensure that all the pre-commissioning checks are carried out successfully.
- Ensure the discharge valve is closed.
- Ensure the pump & the pump suction are completely filled with water prior to starting the pump.
- Start the pump and record shut-off head for low zone.
- Slowly open the discharge valve of the low zone header & record the discharge head for 50% of the design flow. The discharge valve shall be slowly opened & the flow through the piping shall be checked in the flow meter for every rotation of the valve spindle until the flow is 50% of the design.
- Similarly discharge head shall be measured for 100% & 150% of design flow.
- Observe leakage from stuffing boxes and adjust the flow for lubrication of packing.
- Repeat steps 2 & 3 for the high zone & record the values.
- Check pumps for overheating by physically touching by hand.
- Check for any vibration/noise.
- Check current, voltage & rpm of the motor & record the values.
- Calculate the actual pump performance and plot actual performance curve for both low zone & high zone.
- Check the interface with BMS & fire alarm system.
- The wiring diagram of pump controls & schematic piping shall be displayed near or inside the control panel.
- Precommissioning check sheet for Fire Fighting Pumps
- Commissioning check sheet for Fire Fighting Pumps
- Performance Record for Fire Fighting Pumps
- Risk Assesment