The purpose of generating this Method Statement is to define the procedure step by step to implement the correct practices for Installation of Building Management System BMS to ensure that the site installation work execution complies with the project requirements and serves the intended function to satisfactory level.
- Standard’s electrician & wireman’s tools.
- Portable hand tools.
- Spirit Level / Level Threads
- Digital multi-meter
Material Handling & Storage
On receipt of the BMS System accessories at site, necessary precautions shall be taken for unloading,
shifting & storage, as follows:-
- All Packages for the complete set of BMS System, reaching to site shall be identified as per package list.
- Where auxiliaries are shipped loose, these will be identified and checked against the dispatch documents. Any item found missing or damaged will be noted to the supplier immediately for the replacement / repair.
- Special attention shall be paid to the instruments and monitoring devices supplied loose.
- All materials received at site shall be inspected and ensured that the materials are as per approved material submittal, shop drawing and single line diagram.
- Any discrepancies, damage etc., found will be notified and reported for further action.
- Site Engineer (Electrical) has to ensure that material used at site are of free from any damage
- All packages shall be stored under protected dust area.
BMS Installation Preparation & General Requirements
- Ensure all civil works are completed for the area to carryout the installation, and clearance is
obtained from respective authorities to proceed further.
- Prior to start the installation, refer to the approved shop drawings related to the area of
installation and ensure that required materials are available at site as per approved material
- Ensure the materials are stored properly and there is no mark of damage or deformity of any
kind before issuing the material from site store.
- All shop drawings, riser diagram must be approved by supplier for all installation methods and details.
- Ensure that all outlets related to BMS are in accessible area and not covered by MEP services.
- Ensure that work area is ready and safe to start the installation of BMS Systems
- Ensure that as built drawings showing all changes are ready before false ceiling finish.
- Ensure the installation of BMS System and accessories are carried out in accordance with manufacturers installation recommendations, requirements of applicable standards and in accordance with recognized industrial practices, and specified in project specification to ensure that installation complies with requirements.
BMS Installation Procedure
The Installation consists of the following stages which are covered below: –
- Conduiting and cabling
- VAV, FCU Controllers
- Control valves and actuators
- DDC panels and Field devices
Conduiting and Cabling: PVC conduiting / GI conduiting or trunking shall be done as per approved shop drawing to pull control Wires for all field devices and control panels.
VAV ,FCU Controllers with Field Devices
- The Controllers, transformers and relays shall be delivered by the system supplier.
- These Controllers shall be mounted with an enclosure with control transformer attached to VAV control assembly.
- Two Port valve with actuators shall be installed in the CHW pipe at FCU’s as per approved shop drawings.
- Control Wires to be pulled between the VAV, FCU’s controllers and thermostats, two port valves as per approved wiring drawings.
- Terminations at VAV controller shall be carried out as per company approved method.
- After final wall finishes room thermostats to be installed and terminated
- Thermostat unit shall be fixed with inbuilt jack and laptop connection can be made with the existing control cable wiring.
Direct Digital Controller (DDC) with Field Devices
- The preassembled DDC Control panel with Controllers, modules, transformers, relays shall be delivered by system supplier.
- The Control panel shall be installed with required power supply on the wall as shown in approved shop drawings and to be coordinated with other services.
- Conduiting / trunking to be installed between the field devices and the control panel.
- For HVAC Equipments:- Field Devices pertaining to ducting like temperature sensor, humidity sensor, motorized damper actuators, are to be installed and terminated as per manufacturers recommendations enclosed.
- Field devices pertaining to CHW pipes like CHW temperature sensor, pressure sensor and flow sensors are to be installed and terminated as per manufacturers recommendations.
- Wiring and connections for all field devices shall be done as per the approved BMS point schedule, wiring schedule and schematic diagrams.
- Field devices like outside air humidity sensor, water level sensor, staircase pressurization sensor shall be installed and connected as per approved BMS system.
- VFD’s are fixed inside AHU control panels and required cable connections shall be done as per approved schematic diagrams.
- Conduiting and wiring for plumbing systems like Water Booster Pump sets, fire pump sets, water Calorifire, pump to be carried out from DDC panel as per system requirements.
- Terminations at field ends shall be carried out as per approved manufacturers recommendations.
- For DDC control panels control cabling shall be done through GI conduit or GI trunking above false ceiling as per approved shop drawings, schematic drawings and all control wires shall be dressed properly with related identifications and connected as per approved data point schedule.
Central Peripherals and Integration
- Bus loop wiring to be carried out from the Central Controller to all the VAV’s & DDC as per the approved schematic drawings.
- The pre assembled peripherals with controllers hubs shall be installed in the BMS control room.
- Wiring between the central peripherals and the low current systems shall be carried out as per approved shop drawings.
- Installation of Central Peripherals like Computer, Printer, Monitor shall be installed as per the approved BMS system and approved shop drawings.
Installation procedures of field devices for HVAC equipments
A- Installation of duct air temperature sensor
- The installation of the duct air temperature sensor shall be as per approved shop drawings and manufacturers recommendations.
- The location of the duct air temperature sensor shall be marked as per the approved shop drawings.
- A hole of dia 20mm shall be made using a hole saw cutter and the mounting flange shall be fitted.
- The temperature sensor shall then be inserted and installed on the mounting flange.
- The sensing element shall be diagonally bent across the cross section of the duct and the end of the element shall be fitted using the collar provided with the sensor.
- It shall be ensured that the sensing element is not touching the duct wall.
B-Installation of duct temperature or humidity sensor
- The installation of the duct air temperature or humidity sensor shall be as per approved shop drawings and manufacturers recommendations.
- The location of the duct air temperature or humidity sensor shall be marked as per the approved shop drawings.
- It shall be ensured that the sensor is mounted on the middle of the duct wall.
- A hole of dia 22mm shall be made using a hole saw cuter and the mounting flange shall be fitted.
- The temperature or humidity sensor shall then be inserted and installed on the mounting flange.
- The sensor shall be installed in such a way to have elect. cable entry from down side.
C – Installation of water differential pressure sensor
- The installation of the water differential pressure sensor shall be as per approved shop drawings and manufacturers recommendations.
- The location of the water pressure sensor shall be as per the approved shop drawings and it shall be below the pressure measuring points.
- The pressure sensor shall be installed using the GI mounting bracket provided with the sensor.
- The surface of the installation of the sensor shall be vibration free i.e. not on the surface of any equipment with moving parts.
- Holes of dia 5mm shall be drilled at the bottom of the pipes for pressure tapping and standard fittings supplied with the sensor shall be used for connections.
- The tapping point shall be connected to the sensor using the copper capillary tube supplied along with the sensor.
D – Installation of air differential pressure sensor
- The installation of the air differential pressure sensor shall be as per approved shop drawings and manufacturers recommendations.
- The location of air differential pressure sensor shall be as per the approved shop drawings.
- The air differential pressure sensor shall be mounted on the duct wall using fasteners supplied with the sensor.
- The sensors shall be installed using GI mounting bracket provided with the sensor.
- Two duct probes shall be installed, one in the suction and the other in the discharge side of the fans.
- The probes shall be connected to the pressure sensor using the plastic tubing provided with the sensor.
E – Installation of immersion water temperature sensor
- Thermo well shall be installed first in the chilled water pipe line and temperature sensor shall be installed inside the thermo well suitably.
- The installation of immersion water temperature sensor shall be as per approved shop drawings and manufacturers recommendations.
- The sensor shall be installed in such a way that the stem length is completely immersed in chilled water as per manufactures recommendations.
- The sealing of the socket and the sensor threads shall be made using Teflon tape.
- It shall be ensured that the cable entry to the sensor is not from the top of the sensor.
F – Installation of smoke detectors in AC ducts
- The installation of smoke detector duct housing shall be as per approved shop drawing or manufacturer recommendations.
- Mounting holes shall be drilled for duct housing and also holes made to insert air sampling and exhaust tubes as per manufacturers recommendations.
- Wiring shall be as done for detector connection as per approved shop drawings.
- The smoke detector then be installed with the base unit inside smoke chamber using the adopter plates as shown in the installation instructions.
G – Installation of butterfly valves
- The installation of butterfly valves shall be as per approved shop drawings and manufacturers
- The butterfly valves shall be installed in a sandwiched position using appropriate flanges.
- Upon completion of installation and insulation of the valves , the actuators are installed.
- It shall be installed that the valve actuators are not installed upside down in any case.
- All the other actuator orientations are acceptable as per manufacturers recommendations.
H – Installation of two port valves
- The installation of two port valves shall be as per approved shop drawings and manufacturers recommendations.
- The valves shall be connected to the piping using threaded fittings or flanges depending upon the pipe diameter.
- Upon completion of installation and insulation of the valves the actuators are installed.
- It shall be ensured that the valve actuators are not installed upside down in any case.
- All the other actuator orientations are acceptable as per manufacturers recommendations.
Manufacturer recommended installation details
A – VAV, FCU CONTROLLERS
VAV and FCU controllers consists of the following devices.
- VAV controller
- Thermostat – room unit
- Room sensor
These devices shall be installed as the approved shop drawings and as per Manufacturer’s recommendations.
B – VALVES & ACTUATORS
- Two way valve & Actuator.
- Butterfly valve, Actuator & end switch.
- Electro hydraulic actuators for valves
- Damper actuators for AHU
- Damper actuators for FAHU
C – SENSORS AND GAUGES
- Immersion Temperature Sensor
- Duct Temperature Sensor
- Duct Humidity Sensor
- Duct Air Pressure Sensor
- Differential Pressure Switch.
- Combined Humidity & Temperature Sensor
- Duct Air Quality Sensor
- Float Switch
- Level Sensor
- CO Sensor
- Flow Sensor
- Expandable Controller
- BCM Power Supply Module
- BCM Ethernet Module
- BCM MS / TP Module
- Room Thermostat- FCU
- Compact Operator Terminal
- Interface Module for Chiller Management
- VAV / CAV Controller with Actuator
- FCU Controller
- Wall Mounted Sensor with set point and LCD display
- Risk Assessment
- Inspection And Test Plan
- Quality Control Procedure
- Check Sheets