The purpose of this safe work method of statement procedure is to define the step by step method to implement the correct practices for the precommissioning & commissioning of domestic Water Booster Pumps through the guidelines contained herein so as to ensure that the job execution complies with the project requirements and serves the intended function to satisfactory level.
Pre-Commissioning Procedure for Water Booster Pumps
Ensure that the pump installation is complete and mechanical completion is approved. Ensure that no damage occurs between mechanical completion & precommissioning. Repair all damages to the equipment paint finish. Ensure that the pumps are identified location wise and service wise. Note the details of each motor such as make, model number, frame size, kW rating and RPM.
Check that the Water Booster piping network is complete with proper valves, drains, vents, strainers, pressure switches & instruments in place as per final approved shop drawing.
Ensure that the Water Booster network is hydraulically pressure tested and approved. Ensure that the entire system is cleaned internally & externally.
Ensure the pumps bearings are lubricated/greased as per manufacturer recommendation. Ensure the pump shafts are rotated by hand freely & impeller is dynamically balanced.
Ensure that electrical power connections and earthing is proper. Ensure that the field wiring is pre-tested for continuity and insulation resistance. Check & ensure that the motor is in accordance with the approved material submittal. Ensure that all the relevant valves are in open position. Pump discharge valve should be in closed position.
Check for free rotation of motor shaft by hand. Direction of rotation and RPM shall be checked during commissioning. Check the pumps are properly bolted & the pump casing is vented.
Check for proper installation of pressure gauges. Check identification and labeling for equipment. Check & ensure that the mechanical seal is properly placed.
Commissioning Procedure for Water Booster Pumps
- Ensure that all the precommissioning checks are carried out successfully.
- Ensure that pipe alignment is done.
- Ensure the discharge valve is closed.
- Open the suction valve & allow water to flow into the pump.
- Start the pump and record shut-off head.
- Open the discharge valve fully & record the head of the pump.
- Check pumps for overheating by feeling it physically by hand (there is no specific criteria for checking the overheating of pump).
- Check for any undue vibration/noise (it is just physical hearing of undue vibration / noise during operation).The specification does not call for noise level of pumps or individual equipment. Noise level measurement shall be in line with the separate procedure.
- Check & record the expansion vessel pressure setting.
- Calculate the actual pump performance and plot actual performance curve.
- Check current, voltage & rpm of the motor & record the values.
- Complete controls & interfacing with the BMS shall be checked in line with the approved procedure.
- Check & ensure that the pumps shut off at low water level.
- Disinfection of the piping network shall be carried out as per the approved method statement.
- The main pump will start only below 14.5 bar & will stop at 16 bar, there is sufficient time for the pump to transfer from star to delta thus avoiding the frequent running of pump only in star mode. Further the star-delta transformation timing shall be minimized to ensure the same.
- Once one main pump starts & stops, during the next cycle one of the other pumps will act as a duty pump, hence avoiding the frequent running of the same pump in a particular period.
- The wiring diagram of pump controls & schematic piping shall be displayed near or inside the control panel.
- Precommissioning check sheet for Water Booster Pumps
- Commissioning check sheet for Water Booster Pumps
- Performance Record for Water Booster Pumps
- Risk Assesment